BlockPLUS can accurately model surface features including knots, holes, dips, catface, butt flare and pistol grip at a resolution of over 100 precise measurements per square inch. With approximately one-half million data points for blocks less than 12» in diameter, the model of the block generated by BlockPLUS system provides a complete representation of the block for analysis. As the block diameter increases above 12», the number of data points collected also increases up to a maximum of approximately 3 million points. This accuracy breakthrough in block profile scanning provides, for the second time in the history of peeling softwood veneer, a quantum advance in recovery.
Carefully controlled tests at a Pacific Northwest mill showed
the use of BlockPLUS:
- Increased veneer recovery by 2.7% for Douglas Fir, 3.2% for Hemlock
- Reduced the average round-up time 0.5 seconds
- Shortened carriage retract
- Minimized spin-outs or dropped blocks
- Made the clipping trash gate operate more accurately and consistently.